Sunday, 29 January 2012

The Iron King!

Yesterday was the Iron King Tournament held at Iron Haven Games, Exeter! It was an awesome day and used the 2012 scenarios and rules.  The format was three 35 point games, using one list, and the final game was a Mangled Metal game using the same warcaster or warlock. The turns were timed to 10 minutes and you could use an extension once per game. You were awarded 3 points for a win, 2 for a draw and 1 for a loss. There was also a painting element to the scoring: 2 for painted with detail and basing, 1 for basic painting and basing and 0 for any model being unpainted.

My list was the one I have been talking mainly about on here:

Thagrosh, Prophet of Everblight (*5pts)
* Nephilim Bolt Thrower (6pts)
* Shredder (2pts)
* Scythean (9pts)
* Typhon (12pts)
Gatormen Posse (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
Blighted Nyss Shepherd (1pts)
1 Spell Martyr (1pts)

Thagrosh, Prophet of Everblight (*5pts)
* Nephilim Bolt Thrower (6pts)
* Raek (4pts)
* Shredder (2pts)
* Scythean (9pts)
* Scythean (9pts)

Game One!
Opponent: Andy Light
Faction: Mercs.
Scenario: Process of Elimination.
















So there is a summary in pictures!
Andy was using Ashlynn with her massive def of 17! I had played against Andy once before and he was using a relatively similar list.
I had won the roll and went first, running most things up the field. Andy had responded by gradually advancing his army. The Scythean charged the Precursor Knights, killing two and the gators failed charged. A shredder went rapid  to engage the jack.

Andy responded by using the Precursors once a game ability of Morrow's Name, doing a fair bit of damage to the Scythean. The jack also shot at the gators killing two of them. Some unlucky rolls left the Shredder unharmed so Andy brought Ashlynn forward to try and shoot him, but missed. Ashlynn was left in a fairly compromising position, but I think Andy had hoped that the high def would save her.

The Bolt Thrower activated first to try and get the critical knockdown, but failed to hit with the massive def of 19 due to Quicken. The Spell Martyr then ran up and Thagrosh tried to cast Obliteration through it, but again the def saved her and it scattered away. I was reluctant to use the Scythean because he would have so many freestrikes taken against him, so it was down to the Gators. They charged over using their reroll ability, after some poor dice they finally managed to kill Ashlynn.

One win!



Game Two!
Opponent: Simon Lee.
Faction: Cryx.
Scenario: Incursion.

















I forgot to take the last picture but the gators held the objective to gain the third scenario point.
It was a great game! Simon was using eSkarre which is a strong warcaster and Simon is a good player. I made a couple of mistakes such as misjudging the Typhon's charge range and not using his animus, so he got killed pretty quick! The Banes continue to be a nemesis as they can kill a beast so effortlessly.





Game Three.
Opponent: Richard Deane.
Faction: Cygnar.
Scenario: Incoming.

Before I go on to the pictures, this proved to be one of those games where I did not have my head screwed on properly! Richard is a very experienced player so I was 99.9% sure I knew the outcome before we had even started! I also played the scenario incredibly stupidly; I missed out on numerous control points simply by not putting Thagrosh slightly closer to the objective and giving away the scenario win.


















Game Four! Mangled Metal!
Opponent: Simon Lee.
Faction: Cryx.
Scenario: Gauntlet.




 























What a game! It was going pretty 50/50 throughout the game, but as soon as Thagrosh started to play a bit more aggressively it made a difference. The death shroud allowed the beasts to stay alive for longer and Thagrosh finished off killing Mallice. The last two turns though were epic! I unfortunately made the mistake with Scythean to charge into Skarre- she has admonition on her but I hoped that she would not move the full 3 due to the risk of going out of the kill box artiface. What I should have done would have been to run around the back of her which possibly could have lined her up for Thagrosh to charge. Anyway Thagrosh charged Nightmare....and this is where my dice completely let me down. I needed to roll a 6 on two dice....below average....but I failed at least 4 times in a row. Looking back I really should have boosted and I was stupid to not do so, but I failed to hit Nightmare leaving it on I think about 6 boxes.  Thagrosh could have, and should have (!), downed Nightmare that turn for the win, but it wasnt mean to be! Skarre came round and knocked Thagrosh down and killed him for the win. Gutted! But Simon was a great opponent. Damn those dice!!!


*On a lot of my pictures, the Sycthean is looking the wrong way- this is because he over hangs his base so much!



So that was my day; 2 wins, 1 epic fail and 1 dice failure game. Excellent day!
I will post the overall rankings when I get a copy, but I ended up coming 11th out of 18. To me that was pretty good as there was a lot of very experienced players there so I am really quite chuffed!
Key results:


Iron King 2012 - Pat Vance
2nd Place - Richard Deane
3rd Place - Chris Cawthorn
Most Sporting - Andy Light
Best Painted - Chris Cawthorn
Most Promising General - Chris Oakley


Congratulations to Pat Vance who won also using pThags, but quite a different list to mine.
If you are interested there are loads of pictures over on Iron Haven Games Facebook Page On there you will find pics of the trophy and Chris Cawthorn's lovely painted Skorne as well as Kurt Hanson's Trolls which were also awesome!

With the Iron King out of the way, I am now very much looking forward to SmogCon and then the Welsh Open in May! First though, we have entered a small tournament at a local gaming convention in Plymouth which is holding its first warmachine tournament this Sunday. Its only 25 points but hopefully it will grow into something bigger. So over the next couple of weeks I will start to look at another 35 point list as well as some 50 point ones! I am also very much looking forward to the Iron Gauntlet 2, which will be held in the Summer at the Iron Haven!



Thanks for reading!

Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment